Financial Problems

Help and support if you are in financial crisis

Useful information and contacts

Crisis Loans

Crisis loans and grants can help you to cover unexpected expenses in a crisis or emergency. Support that can be offered includes:

  • Food vouchers for a local supermarket
  • White goods and furniture (only beds, fridges, fridge freezers and cookers)
  • Charging of utility account keys
  • Travel warrant or tickets

To be eligible, you must receive one or more of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Income Based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Reduction

If an applicant is due to leave an institution or care home within six weeks and is likely to get one of the above benefits they would be eligible, providing they meet the remaining conditions.

Any prisoner that was resident in the London Borough of Sutton for at least six out of the last 12 months or three out of the last five years, before going into prison, will be eligible to apply.

For more information and to make an application, please search ‘crisis loans’ at

    Welfare Reform Outreach Team

    London Borough of Sutton’s Welfare Reform Outreach Team is there to help residents who are in receipt of benefits (whether working or not) and struggling financially. They can help with:

    • Ensuring your benefit entitlements are correct
    • Applying for benefits and crisis loans
    • Budgeting and money management
    • Households struggling due to the benefit cap or bedroom tax
    • Applying for Discretionary Housing Payments

    To refer yourself, please complete an online Referral Form

    Discretionary Housing Payments and Hardship Fund

    Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) and the Hardship Fund (HF) can provide help to Sutton residents who need further financial assistance with housing costs or council tax payments.

    Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)

    Anyone resident in Sutton who requires assistance with housing costs and is currently claiming Housing Benefit or Universal Credit can apply for a DHP.

    Examples of what DHP covers:

    • Reductions in housing benefit or universal credit where a benefit cap has been applied for under-occupancy in the social rent sector or as a result of Local Housing Allowance rent restrictions
    • Rent shortfall to prevent a household becoming homeless whilst the housing authority explores alternative options
    • Rent officer restrictions such as ‘local reference rent’ or shared room rate
    Hardship Fund (HF)

    Anyone resident who is currently claiming Council Tax Reduction can apply to the Council’s Hardship Fund. You can apply for assistance if you are finding it hard to pay the shortfall between your monthly Council Tax Reduction amount and your monthly Council Tax instalment.

    For more information and to apply online, please click here or search ‘DHP’ or ‘hardship fund’ at

    Food Banks

    If you find yourself in a situation where you are unable to put food on the table, Sutton Food Bank may be able to help. They  can provide three days worth of food for you and your family. They can also help signpost you to relevant agencies who may be able to help with the longer term issues which have led to the crisis. They may also be able to provide some nappies and other baby essentials.

    To receive a parcel, you must have a food bank voucher. To find out how to be referred, please contact Sutton Food Bank on:

    Tel: 07525 838 640


    Online form:

    Benefit Calculator

    If you require information on what benefits you may be entitled to, please use the Entitled to benefit calculator.

    Follow us

    Encompass LATC Ltd
    Sutton Gate
    1 Carshalton Road
    SM1 4LE

    Contact us